Breast Cancer Risk Assessment Tool
The National Cancer Institute (NCI) has developed a breast cancer risk assessment tool designed to estimate your risk of developing invasive breast cancer.
If you have any questions regarding this breast cancer risk assessment tool, or how our genetic counselor uses it to interpret risk factors, give us a call at 914.242.7640.
Click a question number for a brief explanation, or read all explanations.
Please find Results Below
Reminder: The Breast Cancer Risk Assessment Tool was designed for use by health professionals. If you are not a health professional, you are encouraged to print these results and discuss them with your health care provider.
- These risk calculations have been validated for women in the U.S. who are screened regularly for breast cancer.
- Risk estimates do not allow one to say precisely which woman will develop breast cancer. In fact, some women who develop breast cancer may have lower estimated risks than some women who do not develop breast cancer.
- The BCRAT was not designed to estimate risk for:
- Women with a prior diagnosis of breast cancer, lobular carcinoma in situ (LCIS), or ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS).
- Women who have received previous radiation therapy to the chest for treatment of Hodgkin lymphoma
- Women with gene mutations in BRCA1 or BRCA2, or those who are known to have certain genetic syndromes that increase risk for breast cancer
- Recent immigrants from parts of rural Asia, such as rural China, probably have lower risks than projected by the tool.
These results are based upon the following answer:
|1.||Do you have a medical history of any breast cancer or of ductal carcinoma in site (DCIS) or lobular carcinoma in site (LCIS) have you received previous radiation therapy to the chest for treatment of Hodgkin lymphoma?|
|2.||Do you have a mutation in either the BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene, or a diagnosis of a genetic syndrome that may be associated with an elevated risk of breast cancer?|
|3.||What is your age?|
|4.||What was your age at the time of your first menstrual period?|
|5.||What was your age at the time of your first live birth of a child?|
|6.||How many of your first-degree relatives - mother, sisters, daughters - have had breast cancer?|
|7.||Have you ever had a breast biopsy?|
|7a. How many breast biopsies (positive or negative) have you had?|
|7b. Have you had at least one breast biopsy with atypcial hyperplasia?|
|8.||What is your race/ethnicity?|